This sound redesign is the last project I completed while at Vancouver Film School. It was a 7 week race to get all project planning, casting, recording ADR and foley, editing, and mixing done. I had about 4 weeks for all edits, 2 for mixing/fixes/instructor panel, and 1 for last minute fixes before industry professionals would visit our theatre in person and critique my work.
I wanted to find a video that fulfilled the school's requirements and included moments for each of my skills while still telling a fun story. Below is a breakdown of my thought process.
- characters to demonstrate dialogue record/direct/edit/mix skills as well as challenging voice design for the first time.
- character interactions out of combat and heavy music ques for foley.
- combat and/or magic for SFX/SPFX
- relatively empty moments for BG/Specs in an interesting environment. A moment to breath as well as create opportunity for dynamic range.
- sections where music ques would support the picture.
I've never had to source talent for a project before and the video I chose had many characters for a 3 minute video, so I put out an ad on Craigslist and sent an email to VFS Acting at the earliest moment I could. I'm fortunate to have had voice actors in Vancouver interested in volunteering for my project! However, I needed to go through auditions and demos and come to a decision on cast quickly. Never having done this, I thought about the auditions I have done for classical music gigs. I chose 3 lines each for character. One whisper, one speaking, and one yell line so I could hear a range of deliveries.
Surprisingly, I had too many people email me, so I needed to commit to only spending a certain amount of time per day to go over auditions and set up dates to get this done. To do that, I used a Gantt Chart to define each task in my entire project including start and end dates. I also allowed one day a week to be completely open to account for the fact that I was still in school and learning/getting feedback from industry pros and insightful classmates. Things change and new ideas for improvement were constant, so I wanted to make sure I had time to implement these changes as I went.